Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Speech

Some people have to learn how to walk all over again after their legs have been injured. I have to learn to SPEAK all over again after the speaking part of my brain was injured.  It's not easy.  I need constant reminders to  NOT open my mouth when I want to say something.  I have to CLOSE my mouth, breathe in through my nose, put my chin down (and control it from not going back like it always wants to do) and then speaking (slowly and clearly - only ONE WORD AT A TIME) while I am exhaling through my mouth.  I need a LOT of practice learning how to speak this new way, but it is what I am being taught to do in Speech Therapy. Everyone has SOMETHING they have to learn to deal with in life and speaking so that anyone can understand me is definitely MY biggest challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment