Friday, March 11, 2011

My first presentation as an AUTHOR!

I loved it! All the children in Grades K-2 filed into the Media Center at Swimming Pen Creek Elementary School, by grade level, and sat down on the carpet in front of me.  My mom told each of the three groups all about me and why I was in a wheelchair.  She showed them the splints on my left arm and foot.  I was wearing a pink princess hat. I hate pink (MY favorite color is blue) but pink is a princess color so I wanted to look like a princess. Then, my mom read one of my books to them while it was projected onto the big screen behind me and someone turned the pages.  The children had more questions than we had time to answer!  They were very interested in knowing everything about what happened to me.

I feel like we left the message:  If some part of your body doesn't work, do what you can with the part of your body that DOES work.

Mom told them how I was also writing more books (after The Princess and the Parakeet and the Princess and the Rabbit) about dogs who are physically challenged and zoo animals who are mentally challenged. 

I'm happy.  I'm ALWAYS happy!  God has blessed me to be able to share my talent with the world.

2 comments:

  1. Jewels you are truly an inspiration! I'm not sure why you chose to friend request me on FaceBook but I'm happy you did! Your love of life and positive outlook is so amazing! Thank you for your posts and for being you. You make me want to be a better person. Truly you do! Keep up the great work on your inspiring books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is a very heartwarming story. I'm happy for you Jewels and wish you continued success and happiness creating your story books! Keep the faith, and feel joy knowing that the children who read your stories are enriched by the experience. All the best from me and my family to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete